What is The Learning Studio?
Many have been asking why all this talk about a Learning Studio…. On October 10th at the HOP General Meeting, SPS Superintendent Brad Crozier, Shannon Famigletti, SPS Technology Integration Specialist, and Karen Wolfson, SPS Mathematic Curriculum Coordinator, discussed and demonstrated some of the materials that will be, and are being used in the Sudbury Elementary School Learning Studios. The Learning Studios around the district have been funded in part by the PTO groups at each school.
The objective of the Learning Studio is to create a flexible, technology-infused learning space which can be used by students and staff. Designed to align with UDL (Universal Design for Learning) principles, the Learning Studios will improve access to collaborative, hands-on learning experiences for all. Learning Studios will also provide tools to support the teaching of coding and other computer science competencies in an interdisciplinary context.
The goals of an SPS Learning Studio are:
- Provide a flexible and collaborative space where students and staff can freely investigate and utilize the latest technologies available for learning;
- Expose elementary students to a wider scope of G suite tools and collaborative learning opportunities’
- Use new technology to provide a deeper dive into experiential, project-based learning;
- Provide technology tools for integrating coding and other computer science competencies in an interdisciplinary format;
- Support adult professional learning.
The instituting of the Learning Studios comes from the SPS District Educational Improvement Goal #2 which states “Sudbury Public Schools implement innovative, research-based curriculum and educational practices.” Included in the strategic initiatives for Educational Goal #2 are:
- Create interactive learning classrooms that are aligned with the new state standards in technology/engineering sciences;
- Explore models from integrating curricular areas that are aligned with new state curriculum frameworks.
It is the hope that with the support of HOP and the Haynes Community that the Learning Studio can be up an running this school year.
Join us THIS Wednesday, October 23rd at 3:30pm at the Loring Elementary School Learning Studio. Get an up-close and personal tour of how they have transformed their space into their Learning Studio.